Friday, March 23, 2012

Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?

I think as bright people, there is somewhat of a universal expectation that we will always be right, and we somewhat expect it of ourselves and get frustrated when we are wrong. A lot of the time you are only right until you have more information! I had a counselor ask me once if I would rather be right or be happy? Intellectually, being happy seems more important, but emotionally, I often responded to situations, whether induced by others or myself, doing my utmost to be right, often at any cost.

Its very liberating to be able to say, "I don't know." Perhaps even more so to realize I often don't even need to know, even a little bit. I am not autonomous and never will be, despite my struggles to be as self reliant as possible.

Some great books with many great tools;

Who Moved my Cheese? by Spencer Johnson

Your Erroneous Zones
by Wayne Dyer

Pulling Your Own Strings by Wayne Dyer

Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins

A New Guide to Rational Living by Albert Ellis

Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz

I'm Ok, You're Ok by Thomas A. Harris

A New Pair of Glasses by Chuck "C" (Chamberlain)

The Buddha Walks into a Bar: A Guide to Life for a New Generation by Lodro Rinzler

Only YOU can empower yourself!

I hope you find something you can use and to hear from you soon.

Dave "Rock" Cowles

1 comment:

  1. I am speculating here that being right at the cost of being happy has to do with upsetting other people by being right, and not pressing the issue to keep the peace and be happy. It really depends on the issue, as happy for the moment does not necessarily translate into happy later depending on how the decision plays out. So, i it is a minor thing, be happy, if it is not so minor, be right.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate mature feedback. I don't do pissing contests though and will delete comments before posting them if they are hostile or blatantly offensive. Thanks for visiting!

Twisted Faces - Caricature Art from Rock Cowles

Twisted Faces - Caricature Art from Rock Cowles
Twisted Faces Web Site

Kowulz on Facebook

Dave Cowles's Facebook profile

Caricatures by Rock Kowulz